Immerse yourself with a 3D virtual tour of our collection of
rolling stock on display at the NSW Rail Museum
The State Governor's Car
State officials were provided with their own private train carriages when they had to travel. This carriage was built for State governors' use in 1911 at Eveleigh. This had three bedrooms and two bathrooms for the governor and guests, staff accommodation, a dining area, and an observation lounge.
In the years following the end of the World War II, the rail travellers of NSW were spoilt by trains offering luxury and speed the envy of passengers around the world. Air-conditioning, wall-to-wall carpeting, fluorescent lighting, reclining seats and a licensed restaurant
This carriage was built for use by NSW premiers, entering service in 1920. It included room for ministers travelling with the premier. The car was also part of the royal train that conveyed Queen Elizabeth II during February 1954, travelling behind 4001.
8646 is one of the largest locomotives in the museum and, by a margin of around 15 years, the youngest. The museum’s locomotive 8646, entered service on 1st August 1985. The class suffered from teething problems early in their life but settled down to useful and productive work.
The Silver City Comet was introduced in 1937, operating out to Broken Hill, the 'Silver City'. A diesel railcar set, it was equipped for passenger comfort with reclining, reversible seating and air conditioning, the first fully air-conditioned train in the Southern Hemisphere. Transport Heritage's Comet set is on display at the NSW Rail Museum, and is on the long-term restoration plan to bring them back to display condition.
The Silver City Comet was introduced in 1937, operating out to Broken Hill, the 'Silver City'. A diesel railcar set, it was equipped for passenger comfort with reclining, reversible seating and air conditioning, the first fully air-conditioned train in the Southern Hemisphere. The passenger cars were timber-clad externally and painted silver to make them look sleek and modern.
Dining Car AB 90 was the second dining car to work on the NSW Railways, being delivered in 1926. It represents the shift from the 'off train' catering of the classic Railway Refreshment Room style to onboard dining service. This service replaced the dining rooms located at many larger country stations throughout the system.
During 1938 the NSW Railways sought to offer world-class luxury to its most influential passengers. The benchmark had been raised by the Victorian Railways' stylish Spirit of Progress, racing along the 'broad gauge' between Melbourne and Albury. The NSW KAM sleeping cars were a step in that direction.
During the early 20th Century, the Sydney network electrification was and arguably remains the largest infrastructure project in the history of NSW. The passenger car that stands before you is the point at which Sydney's mass transport leaped from the 19th into the 20th Century.
A long-serving single-decker trailer car (no driver's cab) on the Sydney electrified system, T4310 was manufactured by Walsh Island and entered service in 1927 as a first-class car. It was downgraded to second-class in 1930 following a decision to abolish first-class travel on the Sydney metropolitan network. It remained in traffic until 1990.
Double-deck trains have become synonymous with Sydney's electric train network following the introduction of the first double-deckers in 1964. If you commute to work by train in Sydney today, the train you travel on is very much a descendant of this experimental double-decker. 3804 was one of the first four double-deck driving cars on the system, entering service in 1969 and operating until 1985.
Originally designed to take passengers on lightly loaded lines, a number of these railbuses were converted into pay buses. Powered by a Ford V8 engine and employed for transporting employee wages all over the system. FP1 was re-launched in 2009 following an extensive restoration by RailCorp apprentices.
Imported from America as a sleeping car in 1883, FZ909 was later used by the commissioner to travel around the state and finally converted into a training car to teach trainee steam train drivers how to manage Westinghouse air brakes. Set up to simulate the braking system on a long goods train, the system was pre-set with faults that the students had to be able to troubleshoot before passing their exams. The car was taken out to the depots where schools were being held, and the instructor lived on-site in the car, using the depot's bathroom facilities and sleeping in the small compartment at the rear of the vehicle.
The Commissioner for railways was provided with his own carriage to allow him to conduct business while travelling the state to inspect his network. The car that eventually became FZ909 fulfilled this function until 1919 when it was replaced by this carriage. The carriage was any ‘railway nut’s’ dream motel, including a comfortable bedroom, bathroom,
office, dining area and — a luxury of luxuries — an observation lounge.
The Tramway Life - A whole train in a single carriage
Composite cars such as this one were used on lightly used lines, such as branches, where there wasn't enough traffic for multiple cars with different classes. CCA 1273 includes first- and second-class seating for passengers, plus a guard's compartment that also took parcels and small freight items.
Nine CCA carriages were built, and they were fully imagined as a train 'built into a single carriage'. They were of light-weight construction and thus helped economise uneconomical railway operations.