Locomotive 3001 Project
Restoring a piece of rail history.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
Due to an increase in visitation to the NSW Rail Museum, locomotive 3001 has been selected to undergo restoration. The engine will be used to haul passenger trains along the Thirlmere Heritage Railway, with potential use on occasional main line trips throughout NSW in the longer term.
Help us restore locomotive 3001 by March 2020 by donating today!
ABOUT LOCOMOTIVE 3001
Steam locomotive 3001 was built in 1903 by Beyer, Peacock and Company. When it originally entered service on the NSW Government Railways (NSWGR), it was allocated road number 636. The engine was constructed to haul increasingly heavier trains on the expanding Sydney suburban network, along with the other 144 members of the S class.
The class performed particularly well on the steeply graded North Shore, Main North and Illawarra lines. The class was renumbered in 1924 as the C30 class, with 636 being allocated the new road number 3001.
The monopoly of the class on suburban workings came to an end with the advent of electrification in 1926, which saw most of the class made redundant in that capacity. Seventy-seven of the class were rebuilt into 4-6-0 tender engines for branch line work, while the remainder were redeployed on outer suburban workings on non-electrified lines.
Locomotive 3001 has heritage significance as a class leader of an important type of locomotive that was engaged in branch line work from 1928 until the end of steam traction in 1972. The engine was one of the last steam locomotives to be withdrawn from service on the NSWGR and demonstrates the resourcefulness of the NSWGR in converting obsolete engines for further service.
Locomotive 3001 was withdrawn in September 1967 and transferred to the NSW Rail Transport Museum, now NSW Rail Museum.
Today, locomotive 3001 is being restored by Transport Heritage NSW for use on the Thirlmere Heritage Railway, with potential use on occasional main line trips throughout NSW in the longer term.